We love our screened-in porch. Being from Southern California, I didn't realize how much these things are worth every. single. penny. We can dine al fresco without our Midwest friends, Mr. and Mrs. Mosquito, dining with us.
Our little screened in porch is so nice and cozy, and, up until last week, dark. Granted, during the summer months when it stays light out until 9:00 or later, this isn't a big issue. But, now that it's dark by 7:30ish, we would like to, as my mom would say, "shed some light on the subject." For over a year (or more?) the pull switch on the light switch connected to the ceiling fan has been broken. Dan is super at completing tasks on his "honey-do" list, but this little problem has eluded him. Not that he didn't know how to fix it, it just wasn't on the top of the list. This is where I came in.
I knew we were going to be wanting to sit out on the porch during these incredible Fall nights, and as much as I love candlelight, I do like electricity too. It's a wonderful invention. So I rolled up my sleeves and asked Google for some help.
And sure 'nough, youtube came in and saved the day like Super Grover (sorry, we've been on a Sesame Street kick lately). I found this handy dandy little video.
O.k. Got the video. Watched the video. Now to get the part. Thanks to the super huge and orange hardware store around the corner, I was able to find what I was looking for in under 10 min. That's an accomplishment in itself! Part bought for $3.22.
![]() |
| Even messed up my nail polish in the process :) |
Now the real test: fix the switch. Deep breath. Turn off the breaker. Double check that the breaker is turned off. Climb up ladder. Climb down ladder and quick teach Landon how to dial 911 in case his mommy starts to light up like a Christmas tree. Climb back up the ladder. Deep breath.
Insert boost of confidence
![]() |
| I can do this!! |
And, I did!!!
![]() |
TADA!! I did it all by myself!!
Electricity is a wonderful thing!
Don't you think my Grandpa would have been proud?







I have to admit, I was more than impressed when Rebekah told me she fixed it...I was shocked! This is the same woman that use to ask me to hang pictures because using a level and stud finder was too technical. She's growing up so fast!
ReplyDeleteHa ha-- "shed a little light on the subject"-- I can totally hear your mom saying that! And I do believe that my own parents have made that corny joke upon occasion. :) And way to go, Reb! I am super impressed!! (P.S. Glad you had Landon ready with 911, just in case!)
ReplyDeleteRebekah, my parent's haul out that old dusty joke too! HarHar. I AM impressed....especially that you didn't start a fire when you turned it on :) Maybe you should begin a new blogsite called "Dare to Repair"! And Dan...you can't honestly be saying that Rebekah couldn't find a stud...cuz what does that say about you?!
ReplyDeleteImpressed! But now that he know you are capable you might have your own little honey do lists of electrical fixes! ;) I would have burned our house down or died or something for sure!!
ReplyDeleteI would say I'm super impressed...but not really. You Vander Pol women are an amazing tribe who can do anything they put their mind to. Just don't over do it on the home improvement tasks...you still need to make sure your hubby feels needed around the home or he might create something even more crazy than an Ironman to tackle.
ReplyDeleteWhoa!
ReplyDelete