Saturday, November 15, 2008

New Year's thoughts in November

No, I'm not celebrating 2009 yet, but I just got my new Weekly Planner for 2009 today. I got to a point where I was writing too many dates at the end of my 2008 planner so I had to get a new planner for 09. I know some of you do that fancy schmancy stuff on the computer, but I am old school when it comes to my calendars. Pen and paper and little boxes that you have to fill in. I think I feel like if I write stuff in I will remember it better. (p.s. I also have an address book where I have to WRITE in the addresses!)

As you may notice, I get sentimental with my calendars. Do I keep my old ones? Why should I? I don't journal so I have actually needed my old planners when I do my scrap booking. Helps with the dates of trips, activities, etc. That is if I ever get back around to my scrap booking which I haven't touched in 5 months. In fact, I have my 2007 calendar in my desk here so let's take a look at what we were up to one year ago today...10:30-12:30 Thanksgiving Playgroup. Hmm, I remember it was at Lacey's and we made Turkey cookies. In fact, I told Annika we were having turkey for Thanksgiving she was very disappointed when the turkey wasn't a cookie.

There is something to be said about an empty calendar. Each day is just waiting to be filled. I have mixed emotions right now about how those little boxes will be filled. Ah, I know I will be busy. Since we are closer to family, I am sure we will have visits with them. I am still working on finding friends, so I am hoping I will have play dates and maybe even a Girl's Night Out (NOTHING will replace the old crew, however). Hopefully a few dates with my man and special events with the kids. I am just a little sad that it won't be as simple as it was. I am sure soon enough the unfamiliar will become familiar, out of my comfort zone will become comfortable, and life will be "ordinary" again.

Until then...can you be homesick when you're at home?

13 comments:

  1. Girlfriend, yes. I was homesick in Hawaii for the first 6 months we were here. I know we are going to do it all over again soon...and while family will be around...I have to get my bearings again, on running the daily everything of our house (groceries, playdates, social stuff, kids activities, doctors, la la la)and I will be homesick at home. I get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh honey, of course you can be homesick at home. Me and all your military friends know exactly what you're going through, but you're right, soon the unfamiliar will be familiar and out of your comfort zone will be very comfortable and you'll know your way around and be able to give directions from anywhere!:) And I'm sure you'll have a crew who you'll wonder how you got along without. In the meantime, spend a few extra minutes on the phone to VA and know that there are a lot of us who have been homesick in our own homes. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh certainly, just like R said. Hang in there sweet friend. It just takes time, which is the stinkiest part about it - you can hurry time. But it will be worth it and I'm sure you'll just not even notice before too long. Missing you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said all this so well. I'm with you on the "homesick at home." It happens. fortunately, we have a Five Guys here, so I can get me some Beltway Burgers when I need 'em. But it doesn't make up for late night gaming with our favorite people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having "been there, done that" like so many of you, it does take time; give it at least six months. There are always those people, places and times that can't be "replaced" but sweet memories and great visits will be in your future. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're breakin my heart lady - because home is just not the same. I don't even want to mention the "Thanksgiving" word. Missing you tons and tons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness...I feel your pain! We are trying to do the same thing here in Ankeny...find a place in our church and with new people and friends. And, having been your friend for quite some time, I have to say-- who wouldn't WANT to be friends with you??? Dan, on the other hand... :) Let's just hope and pray that God will reveal his plan for your family there in KC, and for ours in Ankeny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just thinking about you and Thanksgiving playgroup today! Thank you for the special memories you helped create for the rest of us while you were here. I am sure some new mommies will be lucky to meet you and benefit from your willingness to reach out to others!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although we are still hunkered down and happy in Virginia, having grown up overseas I can totally relate to your post. Hang in there chica the first six months are always the hardest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ditto & here here's!
    I'm still whining to Mike about plugging in with girlfriends. Takes lots & lots & lots of time.
    About 3 years I think. I'm so glad we have the internet so we can stay forever friends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Missing you terribly, babe. I consider you stronger than myself because what you wrote is why I have NO interest moving again! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reb, you just about made me cry. Even as someone who has never moved far from "home" sometimes I still have similar feelings or my own little pity parties I guess. I don't have ladies night out ever! I guess once in a while I do something with Ab and sometimes Revelation practices count but I do feel your "pain" even though I'm not in your same situation. When we get to your house in 5 DAYS!!! I'm gonna give you a big hug.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are excited to fill the first few blocks of your 2009 calendar! Can't wait to see you guys! Love you & miss you so much. Tell Dan we won't be having Chocolate Soup...I mean Pie this year for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, I love to hear from you. Really!